Many Australian organisations now have preparations well underway to support their workforce's transition to remote working. Unfortunately, cybersecurity is a key consideration that is often left out of even the most robust working from home or business continuity plan.
In the last month, we've not only seen a rise in Coronavirus cases in Australia, but also a rise in related cybersecurity attacks. With the advice issued from the Federal Government earlier this week that Australians should work from home where practically possible, the use of remote access technology has dramatically increased.
We urge all organisations to remain vigilant and ensure employees are adhering to cybersecurity best practices.
Critical cybersecurity considerations during COVID-19 include:
- Ensuring that systems such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), remote desktop clients and firewalls are up to date and secure.
- Implementing multi-factor authentication on all cloud services and access to business data.
- Educating all employees on cybersecurity best practices, and enforcing a strict Working from Home Policy.
- Ensuring that all employees working from home have physical security measures in place for any hardware taken home, or personal devices used for work during this period.
- Reviewing your business continuity plan to ensure it is fit for purpose.
Questions that business leaders should be asking of their cybersecurity strategy during times of uncertainty include:
- How do your current security protocols stack up against best practice?
- Do you know what your network requirements during peak hours are? Are you optimising the performance of your network?
- Are any of your devices and applications at risk? Do you frequently assess your Firewall security?
- Do you have a Back up and Recovery plan?
- How will you respond to a data breach?
- Do your employees know how to avoid, identify, and report cybersecurity risks?
How can Diamond IT help?
We can help you ensure your business continuity plan and staff education programs are fit for purpose and align with best practice. We have a range of products such as Online Cybersecurity Staff Awareness Training and Testing or data management policies that will have an immediate impact on your security posture.
Our Business Technology Managers (BTMs) and Technology Consulting team are specialists in improving your internal cybersecurity, and are ready to speak with you. Contact our team on 1300 307 907 today.