On Friday 20 September Telstra announced the launch of their Telstra eSIM (embedded SIM) for Consumer and Small Business customers.
What is an eSIM?
The eSIM works just like a regular SIM card, just without physically existing. The digital SIM technology is built into compatible devices and will set you up with an eSIM profile. This makes life a little easier because if you're switching between older and newer devices, you'll know SIM cards come in all shapes and sizes and don't always fit nicely.
The eSIM gives customers an additional SIM format to select from, where they can add a second service using, or replace their current physical SIM card with an eSIM.
The iPhone 11 series is dual SIM capable meaning if you're not ready to let go of the SIM card you've had for years, you can pop it in and use the eSIM. Or, even better, you can use a physical SIM card with your work number and the eSIM with your personal number so you can choose between them.
What are the benefits of an eSIM?
1. Two phone numbers on one device- On compatible phones, you are now able to use both a physical SIM, and an eSIM. This means you can have a personal numbers and a business number on a single device.
2. Stay connected overseas- With no need to switch SIM cards or devices, you can now travel by using one plan in Australia, and another Telstra plan overseas.
3. Seamless technology- From mobile phones to 2-in-1 tablets and laptops, eSIM technology makes connecting to the Telstra network easier than ever.
Currently the below devices have both physical & eSIMs:
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPad (gen 7)
- Apple Watch 5
- Apple iPhone XR, XS/XS Max
- Apple iPad Pro 11" & 12.9" (3rd Generation)
- More devices to be announced as they launch
If you have questions about the new eSIM, please speak with our Carrier Service Solutions team, who are dedicated to understanding what’s new in the market, and can guide you to the most appropriate product and best value plan to suit your requirements.
To speak with our team, give us a call on 1300 307 907 or contact us via the form below.