Virtualisation or Cloud? Which is best for you?

By Peter Lambert | November 26, 2018

1811_i861165300_1200wVirtualisation and Cloud computing are filtering through to a point where they're now common all the way down from multinationals through to small business.

"In Australia what works best for your organisation is fairly dependent on what type of Internet connection is available at your premises."

Keep reading for some great information about the pros and cons of each.

Have you heard about cloud computing and virtualisation technologies but don’t know the difference? Or maybe you’ve heard a fellow business owner talk about why one is better than the other? Here are the differences between the two and the things you must know to determine which solution is best for your business.

Call us for help on what's best for you.

Differences between cloud computing and virtualisation

Virtualisation lets you reallocate hardware power using software. For example, many organisations virtualise an in-house server because if only 60% of a server’s computing power is needed to support the company email, it’s hard to make sure the other 40% is used efficiently.

With virtualisation, you can create two virtual servers from one set of hardware. Each virtual server can be configured with just the right amount of memory and processing power for the needs of specific services such as email, data storage, and hosted telecommunications. Using IT more efficiently means you can put off buying new server hardware, save space in your office, and lower IT maintenance costs.

Cloud computing, on the other hand, is a method for delivering processing power. It allows you to access servers and other IT resources via the internet. For example, you could pay for access to a traditional cloud server (one set of hardware, one computer) or a virtualisation cloud server. The main advantage of the cloud is that you can access your IT resources from anywhere with an internet connection.

Arguments for virtualisation

A virtualisation migration is relatively easy on end users since most of the upgrades are behind the scenes. Your employees may not even realise that your server has been virtualised. But adopting cloud technology means they will need to learn new apps, interfaces, logins, security practices, and a host of other new processes. Such a big change could hurt productivity.

Arguments for the cloud

If you’re willing to risk a short-term reduction in productivity in exchange for long-term independence from unpredictable hardware, cloud computing is a no-brainer. Other than a steep learning curve for your employees, the cloud is easier on your IT team and on your bottom line. Although some migrations, like moving from locally installed Office software to the cloud-based Office 365, won’t affect end users at all.

Which is the best choice for your business?

If you want to increase the efficiency of your existing IT hardware, make virtualisation a top priority. If long-term growth and IT flexibility are more important, the steeper learning curve of cloud computing might be worth it.

One thing both technologies have in common is that they both need the unwavering support of trained professionals. Whether you’re virtualising a server or upgrading to a cloud app, things like network security and data backups will need specialised care. Give us a call today to receive a special consultation.

Talk to your Business Technology Manager

Our BTMs are here to guide you through the process of evaluating your existing infrastructure and upgrade path (including Internet access), and map out a process that best benefits your organisation. Give us a call on 1300 307 907 or contact us via the form below..

 

Contact us today

 

 Published with permission from TechAdvisory.org. Source.

TAGS: Managed IT Services, Infrastructure Solutions, Business Value

About the Author
Peter Lambert

Presales Consultant, Carrier Solutions Specialist & Security Blogger @ Diamond IT - I have over 25 years of experience in Information & Communications. My range of skills is diverse and includes extensive experience in desktop solutions, server and network presales and administration, VOIP phone systems, journalism, creative writing, technical writing, digital videography and audio visual streaming. I hold a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, and I am an experienced classroom trainer and course coordinator. I hold an Advanced Diploma in Network Security, a Diploma in Network Administration, and a Certificate IV in Networking. I am a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA).